Thursday, February 4, 2010

Why is my belly considered public property?

While at my baby shower this past weekend, we talked a little about the joys of pregnancy. One of those was the touching. You know, when someone thinks that because your belly is sticking a foot out in front of you that it isn't actually part of a person so they think they can touch it as they walk past? Thankfully, this hasn't happened to me in the store with complete strangers yet (I think because it's cold so I usually have a coat and scarf on- harder to see the stomach! Or maybe I give off a don't-touch-me-if-you-want-to-keep-your-hand vibe.)

Since I've been pretty vocal about not liking the touchy-feely stuff, most friends and acquaintances have kept their hands to themselves. The few people who have touched my stomach haven't bothered me.

But, when I first announced my pregnancy at work, coworkers started telling me this touching was inevitable. I said I would start slapping hands and that Dave is very protective of me and more than likely, the random person in the store would not get close enough to touch my stomach before he stopped them. Anyway, one of my coworkers said that she was going to touch my stomach one day when I was least expecting it.

Hmm, now think of it this way: If I was not pregnant and simply told a coworker that I was uncomfortable with people touching me, would it be appropriate for them to say they planned on touching me when I least expected it? ABSOLUTELY NOT. It would warrant an HR meeting and very strongly worded warning. And, if they did touch me, I would have every right to charge them with harassment. Yet, because I'm pregnant, it's OK?

She did manage to get in a belly touch one day while I was refilling my water at the cooler. I was not in a good mood that day and gave her a very dirty look. She hasn't attempted another touch since then. I think if she did, I would tell her I was going to file a complaint if she tried again.

I don't understand what makes people think that pregnant bellies are public property? It makes me want to be pregnant during the summer when it would be more obvious and see how many people I would have to slap.

No comments:

Post a Comment